Talk to the English pastor about London's "Gang Shangjunzi"2018-11-19 00:25:06 44 ℃
[Global Times’ special correspondent in the UK Ji Shuangcheng] Stephen, who is over 60 years old, is a pastor of the Anglican Church in a church in the West End of London and a neighbor of the Global Times reporter. Nothing to do, the reporter and Steven chat, only to know that the pastor can not stay away from the city.
One of the biggest problems with Stephen’s headache is how to burglar. The community church represented by Stephen was built in the 1960s, but the design of the church seems to be hundreds of years old. Especially the door lock of the door is thick and strong. When Stephen locked the door, he repeatedly checked whether it was really locked. Seeing this movement, the reporter joked that there are more "Gentlemen on the Liang" in London, and will not come to visit the church? He asked me in surprise: "You don't know if the two nearby churches were stolen some time ago?"
Stephen said that in the UK, churches have always been an important target for thieves because they are often placed in churches. With some sterling silver religious ritual vessels, the thieves took the market and sold them. In the small town of Twickenham, where the journalists lived, the recently stolen church directly lost thousands of pounds and has not been able to solve the case so far.
"Why not install an anti-theft system?" asked the reporter. Stephen shook his head and said that there was a warning sign on the top of the church door with an anti-theft system. The room was covered with cameras and detectors. It was not like a church. Another problem is the lack of funds. A well-established anti-theft system is expected to cost £1,000, and the money also gives Stephen a headache. In the first decade of the beginning of this century, about 25% of Britons admitted that they did not believe in religion, and this proportion is now more than half. There are fewer people coming to church, and there are fewer social donations.
For Stephen, if social security is better, there is not much problem with social donations. But in the past few years, he has faced the thief to the door too many times. On several occasions, the thief who was less than 20 years old came in and ran into a confrontation with Stephen. The two had to talk a few words.
In the conversation, Stephen learned that the other party was basically an unemployed who had fallen into the society after graduating from high school. As a pastor, Stephen tried to educate these young people with religious thoughts. What makes him a little gratified is that he did not visit his church after talking to him. However, the problem of church theft has not been solved. Until now, it is close to retirement. It is considered to be a social church work in the rich area. He is still worried about not sleeping in a silver cup or a candlestick.
The law and order in the UK has become more and more serious in recent years. The community has attributed it to the conservative government's excessive cuts in public spending, resulting in a sharp drop in the number of police. But the Conservatives countered that the reason was that the previous government spent so much money that the people had to pay for the mistakes of the past.
The problem is not that simple. Stephen said that more than 10 years ago, the church where he worked was facing theft, but the British economy was thriving. Stephen believes that the reason is the imbalance of regional development, the economic backwardness of London's eastern region, and insufficient investment in public education, resulting in a large number of young people's education lacking, and negatively affecting society to varying degrees. In the more affluent areas, the hatred of the rich makes some people from the backward areas steal the rich families and public institutions to retaliate against the society.
This is the reality facing the UK. Stephen feels that he can do very limited, and may only be left to solve it in the future.
Guess you like
- 2018-12-17The tiger in the Shulan forest area in Jilin is judged by experts. The tiger is inland to find the territory.
- 2018-12-17[992 | Concern] Sichuan Xingwen 5.7 earthquake has injured 16 people
- 2018-12-16In 2019, China will stop buying abandoned cargo ships, and developed countries will take the initiative to help
- 2018-12-15Ziyan Chicken Response: It has been publicized in the no-picking shop! But can it be sold to sell plastic bowls at food prices?
- 2018-12-12War and snow, check illegal, engage in propaganda, Linxia traffic police have been very busy recently
- 2018-12-12Eco-environmental protection 365 | Tongzhou District uses intelligent means to control pollution sources
- 2018-12-12Starting next year, all the old houses in the countryside will be "trade-in"? really? Change? how much is it?
- 2018-12-12Scene: A car on the Yellow River embankment accidentally caught fire!
- 2018-12-11Out of the sea | take the Central Europe train, technology products accounted for 70% of Manzhouli exports
- 2018-12-10Haihaiji | China's rail transit equipment first landed in Costa Rica
- Yichuan demolition of two illegal buildings on Zhenxing Road
- The passengers here praised the bus driver, and the "Audi" owner did not care about the safety of the stick car!
- When you see this type of license plate, be sure to let it go!
- Hunan Institute of Technology 20-year-old male student donated hematopoietic stem cells and 15-year-old girl "heart-to-heart"
- Hong Kong media said that China is struggling to cope with the heating test: heating in the north this winter is "very good"
- Directly hit the scene of the Syrian landslide rescue site: this thank you, dedicated to the life of you
- The temperature in Guangxi is low, the rain is lingering
- Countdown to the work of Jinan East Railway Station! Opened at the end
- Today, Fuzhou is snowing? Do not believe you see...
- Cool down! Taian has snow next week, the lowest temperature is minus 9 degrees!