Mars dust storm built-in fuel2018-10-31 10:25:40 201 ℃
Mars, this red planet Rich in high chlorides, this compound can be used to make fertilizers and rocket fuels, and is rarely formed naturally on Earth. Now, laboratory research reveals how this unusual compound is produced on Mars: the electric field formed by a dust storm in a whole planet, and a cyclone called a dust storm.
For more than five years, based on evidence from the Phoenix Mars Lander and the Curious Mars, scientists have speculated that perchlorate is relatively common on Mars. On Earth, the chemical reactions that produce these compounds are usually powered by sunlight. But atmospheric chemistry models show that only sunlight is not enough to work on Mars. Instead, the researchers point out that strong electric fields, such as those generated by static electricity in sandstorms, can decompose gases in the Martian atmosphere, driving the perchlorate-generating reaction.
To validate this concept in the laboratory, the researchers will represent a gas mixture of Mars atmosphere (95% carbon dioxide, 2% nitrogen, 2% argon, and 1% oxygen) with chlorine. And the salt is placed together in a large cabin. The researchers lowered the temperature and pressure in the cabin until conditions similar to Mars were reached. They then exposed the mixture to an electric field that could exist inside the Martian dust storm and dust storm (as seen from the track, as shown).
Almost every moment, some of the gas in the room breaks down into highly reactive, positively charged carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and nitrogen molecules. Over time, the reaction produced a large amount of chlorate and perchlorate. Researchers recently reported in the Earth and Planetary Science Express that the team estimates that the rate of perchlorate formation in Mars dust storms may be 10 million times higher than that driven by sunlight.
Perchlorate is intriguing for astrobiologists. Although these substances are toxic to humans and may threaten potential human settlements on Mars, some microorganisms can use perchlorate to promote metabolism.
Related paper information: DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2018.08.040
- In the previous："Parker" is the spacecraft closest to the sun so far.
- The next article：Scientists have observed a black hole with the fastest rotation
Guess you like
- 2019-03-01Five big "deviation" inventions make you stunned...
- 2019-01-31Does the Moon have water? The answer has been revealed, Chang'e No. 4 will tell you.
- 2018-12-04The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket puts 64 satellites into orbit, and the rocket is the third to be reused.
- 2018-11-16"Artificial Sun" was born in China, the electronic temperature is as high as 100 million degrees, and Americans are the enemy.
- 2018-11-13The advantages of dark chocolate are quite a lot, but be careful not to eat with calcium-containing foods!
- 2018-11-13Self-assembled protein
- 2018-10-24Black holes are all understood! Then do you know what a white hole is?
- 2018-09-19What to eat determines what you want
- 2018-08-29A lightning bolt in the sky, how much electricity? The answer you can't think of
- 2018-08-19It’s coming, the Arctic permafrost is “suddenly thawed” and is expected to double by 2050.
- Is the water in the Mariana Trench 10,000 meters deep still liquid? What's the temperature?
- Are pineapples or pineapples sold all over the street? It's a big difference. I finally got it today.
- It has been sealed underground by human beings for 100,000 years. Even if the world is destroyed, it can not be opened.
- The terrible nature makes the body cool.
- NASA's New Mission: Exploring the Origin of the Universe
- There is a new explanation for this kind of landform on Earth and Mars.
- Crossing the boundary of hybrid animals
- 70% probability! US NOAA authority forecast: El Nino or upcoming in autumn and winter
- There is no dry firewood seal, as long as there is a bed in the heart, wherever you can sleep, the leopard is cool...
- 20 moving pictures with feelings: these familiar things are produced in this way.