Self-assembled protein2018-11-13 00:25:40 574 ℃
Helps to synthesize new materials that do not exist in nature
Technology Daily, Beijing, November 11 (Reporter Liu Xia) According to a recent report by the American Physicist Organization Network, American scientists have started from scratch for the first time. And manufacture self-assembled protein filaments. These protein filaments are long helical linear structures formed by the spontaneous binding of the same protein subunits. The latest research will help scientists better understand the structural and mechanical properties of natural protein filaments and create new materials that do not exist in nature, including man-made fibers that rival or exceed the strength of spider silk, as well as nanoscale circuits.
In nature, protein filaments are an essential component of several structural and motor parts of living cells and many body tissues. These structures and tissues include the cytoskeleton that allows cells to form specific structures, the microtubules that coordinate cell division, and the most common protein in our body, collagen.
To design this new protein, the team led by David Baker, a professor of biochemistry at the University of Washington School of Medicine, used a computer program called "Rosetta" developed by Baker Labs. The program can predict its shape by the amino acid sequence of the protein. They used Rosetta to design a small protein with amino acids on the surface that allowed them to lock into each other and self-assemble into spiral protein filaments. The researchers said that with this method, "we can finally design a protein that can be assembled like Lego bricks." The results have been published online in the journal Science.
The first author of the paper, George Fallas, a lecturer at the University of Washington School of Medicine, said that the new method designed a relatively small protein consisting of only 180 to 200 amino acids and only about 1 nanometer in length. However, it can be assembled into stable filaments with a length of over 10,000 nm.
The study also demonstrated that filament growth or dissociation can be driven by modifying the concentration of the designed protein in solution and adding an additive that inhibits protein binding.
Baker said: "The ability to program filament formation power will give us insight into how protein filaments in nature are assembled and unraveled. These proteins are very stable and can be used as easy-to-modify stents. From new diagnostic tests to nanoelectronics and other fields."
Guess you like
- 2019-03-01Five big "deviation" inventions make you stunned...
- 2019-01-31Does the Moon have water? The answer has been revealed, Chang'e No. 4 will tell you.
- 2018-12-04The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket puts 64 satellites into orbit, and the rocket is the third to be reused.
- 2018-11-16"Artificial Sun" was born in China, the electronic temperature is as high as 100 million degrees, and Americans are the enemy.
- 2018-11-13The advantages of dark chocolate are quite a lot, but be careful not to eat with calcium-containing foods!
- 2018-11-13Self-assembled protein
- 2018-10-24Black holes are all understood! Then do you know what a white hole is?
- 2018-09-19What to eat determines what you want
- 2018-08-29A lightning bolt in the sky, how much electricity? The answer you can't think of
- 2018-08-19It’s coming, the Arctic permafrost is “suddenly thawed” and is expected to double by 2050.
- Is the water in the Mariana Trench 10,000 meters deep still liquid? What's the temperature?
- Are pineapples or pineapples sold all over the street? It's a big difference. I finally got it today.
- It has been sealed underground by human beings for 100,000 years. Even if the world is destroyed, it can not be opened.
- The terrible nature makes the body cool.
- NASA's New Mission: Exploring the Origin of the Universe
- There is a new explanation for this kind of landform on Earth and Mars.
- Crossing the boundary of hybrid animals
- 70% probability! US NOAA authority forecast: El Nino or upcoming in autumn and winter
- There is no dry firewood seal, as long as there is a bed in the heart, wherever you can sleep, the leopard is cool...
- 20 moving pictures with feelings: these familiar things are produced in this way.