Why are some words full of affection?2019-01-13 09:03:40 38 ℃
Many things in our daily life have emotional significance for us. For example, if a pair of wool socks is the last thing Grandma knits before she dies, it has emotional value. The same applies to words. A stranger's name has no emotional value at first, but if you develop a romantic relationship with him or her, the same name suddenly has a positive connotation. Recently, researchers at the University of Gottingen in Germany studied how the brain handles these positive or negative stimuli. The results were published in the Journal of Neuropsychology. In the
study, scientists at the George Elias Miller Institute of Psychology at the University of Gottingen analyzed how people associate neutral symbols, words and expressions with emotional meaning. Within a few hours, participants learned these connections through systematic rewards and punishments. For example, if they always receive money when they see a neutral word, then the word gets a positive association. However, if they always lose money when they see a word, it will lead to the word being associated with negative associations. Studies have shown that people learn positive associations much faster than neutral or negative associations, meaning that positive things are quickly associated with a word or a person's face (as their recent study in the Journal Neuroimage shows). Researchers also used electroencephalogram (EEG) to study how the brain processes various stimuli. The results show that the brain usually determines whether an image or word is positive or negative after 200 to 300 milliseconds. Dr Louisa Kulke, the lead author of the study, said: "Loss-related words cause specific neurological responses in the visual cortex after 100 milliseconds." "So the brain instantly recognizes what a newly learned word means to us, especially when it means negative."
In addition, whether the word corresponds to real objects (such as chairs or trees) or whether it is a fictional word (such as Napo or foti) that does not exist in language also seems to have an impact. Therefore, the existing semantics of a word seem to play a role in the emotions we associate with it. < p > < p > Compilation: Max < / P > < p > Reviewing: alone < / P > < p > Compilation: Nanxi < / P >
Guess you like
- 2019-01-31Does the Moon have water? The answer has been revealed, Chang'e No. 4 will tell you.
- 2018-12-04The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket puts 64 satellites into orbit, and the rocket is the third to be reused.
- 2018-11-16"Artificial Sun" was born in China, the electronic temperature is as high as 100 million degrees, and Americans are the enemy.
- 2018-11-13The advantages of dark chocolate are quite a lot, but be careful not to eat with calcium-containing foods!
- 2018-11-13Self-assembled protein
- 2018-10-24Black holes are all understood! Then do you know what a white hole is?
- 2018-09-19What to eat determines what you want
- 2018-08-29A lightning bolt in the sky, how much electricity? The answer you can't think of
- 2018-08-19It’s coming, the Arctic permafrost is “suddenly thawed” and is expected to double by 2050.
- 2018-08-04unsolved puzzle! Why does the stone move by itself? Troubled by many scientists
- The terrible nature makes the body cool.
- NASA's New Mission: Exploring the Origin of the Universe
- There is a new explanation for this kind of landform on Earth and Mars.
- Crossing the boundary of hybrid animals
- 70% probability! US NOAA authority forecast: El Nino or upcoming in autumn and winter
- There is no dry firewood seal, as long as there is a bed in the heart, wherever you can sleep, the leopard is cool...
- 20 moving pictures with feelings: these familiar things are produced in this way.
- The strongest hurricane hit the East Coast of the United States in 29 years! Looking at Hurricane Florence from space
- British supermarket pork detected deadly mutant bacteria, only because of the use of antibiotics that have been banned for two years in China
- Another creature is facing extinction! The last "land" of the Adelie penguin may be reduced by 50% in 10 years.