There is a new explanation for this kind of landform on Earth and Mars.2019-01-22 17:30:54 1083 ℃
Dune is a wind-blown sandy landform widely distributed in desert areas on the earth, and it is a wind-blown landform formed by wind erosion, transportation and accumulation of sandy land. A large number of dunes of different shapes have also been found on Mars and Titan.
Dunes are fascinating because of their complex and diverse morphology. Among them, dome dunes are more interesting to scientists because of their unique charm. The< p> dome dune is a kind of dune with special shape. They are round in shape, and their plane shapes are similar to circles or ellipses. They are like steamed buns of large and small, lack of fallen sand slopes and irregular spatial distribution of individuals. Such dunes are common on Mars and Titan.
Fig.1A. Dome dunes on the earth (giant dome dunes along the Tarim Desert Highway, located in the north of the Taklimakan Desert, 40 14_N, 83 31_E, with a height of about 100 meters, the sub-map is a sand-map). B. Small dome dunes on Mars (72 degrees 49 N, 26 degrees 22 E). How do sand dunes form and evolve? According to aeolian geomorphologists, the shape of sand dunes is determined by wind conditions and the abundance of sand sources. However, the formation and development mechanism of special dunes such as dome dunes need to be further studied. Recently, the Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography of the Chinese Academy of Sciences first identified the morphological characteristics of dome dunes, revealed their formation process and influencing factors, and filled in the blank of wind-blown sand geomorphology research. The< p> dome dunes occur in the environment of relatively less abundant sand sources and complex wind conditions. Affected by the complexity of wind conditions, dome dunes can evolve from crescent dunes (dunes similar to crescents in shape) (Fig. 2).
Figure 2: Dune morphological characteristics under different wind conditions in numerical simulation. A. Solitary crescent-shaped and dome-shaped dunes. B. Crescent-shaped and dome-shaped dunes developed on non-erodible beds. C. The complexity of wind conditions is expressed by standard deviation of sediment transport rate. From the picture above, we can see that the dome dunes evolved from the crescent dunes. When the more complicated wind blows in all directions, the crescent moon is gradually "filled up" and piled higher and higher, and becomes a steamed dome dune. The direction and intensity of wind will affect the formation process of these steamed buns. In addition, compared with crescent dunes, dome dunes correspond to more intense wind-sand currents on the surface. At the same time, we can also see that the higher the steamed bread is, the slower the steamed bread moves, which is similar to the crescent dune in dynamic process. In stable state, the higher the height is, the slower the steamed bread moves (fig. 3).
Fig.3 Dynamic mechanism of dome dunes. A. The relationship between the morphological characteristics of dome dunes and wind conditions. B. The relationship between velocity and height of dome dunes.
Using the morphological characteristics and moving speed of the dome dune itself, we can inversely calculate the sediment transport in this area.
Although the direction of sand transport in dome dunes is not as single as that in crescent dunes, the amount of sand transport in a certain direction of dome dunes plays an important role in the formation of dome dunes. Therefore, it is possible to estimate the regional sediment transport and the variation of wind conditions directly by measuring the shape, scale and moving speed of the dome dunes in nature. In addition, we can also be applied to the study of Martian and Titan dunes, which lack wind data. The wind data on Mars and Titan are difficult to obtain, but we can see the patterns and changing rules of these dome dunes through remote sensing images, and then invert and calculate the wind and sediment transport characteristics of Mars and Titan based on these data and the previously established model of the relationship between dome dunes and sediment transport.
That is to say, through these large and small "steamed bun" dome dunes, we can calculate what wind blows and how much sand blows in this area.
Our understanding of the landforms of Mars and Titan may be a step further.
Guess you like
- 2019-03-01Five big "deviation" inventions make you stunned...
- 2019-01-31Does the Moon have water? The answer has been revealed, Chang'e No. 4 will tell you.
- 2018-12-04The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket puts 64 satellites into orbit, and the rocket is the third to be reused.
- 2018-11-16"Artificial Sun" was born in China, the electronic temperature is as high as 100 million degrees, and Americans are the enemy.
- 2018-11-13The advantages of dark chocolate are quite a lot, but be careful not to eat with calcium-containing foods!
- 2018-11-13Self-assembled protein
- 2018-10-24Black holes are all understood! Then do you know what a white hole is?
- 2018-09-19What to eat determines what you want
- 2018-08-29A lightning bolt in the sky, how much electricity? The answer you can't think of
- 2018-08-19It’s coming, the Arctic permafrost is “suddenly thawed” and is expected to double by 2050.
- Is the water in the Mariana Trench 10,000 meters deep still liquid? What's the temperature?
- Are pineapples or pineapples sold all over the street? It's a big difference. I finally got it today.
- It has been sealed underground by human beings for 100,000 years. Even if the world is destroyed, it can not be opened.
- The terrible nature makes the body cool.
- NASA's New Mission: Exploring the Origin of the Universe
- There is a new explanation for this kind of landform on Earth and Mars.
- Crossing the boundary of hybrid animals
- 70% probability! US NOAA authority forecast: El Nino or upcoming in autumn and winter
- There is no dry firewood seal, as long as there is a bed in the heart, wherever you can sleep, the leopard is cool...
- 20 moving pictures with feelings: these familiar things are produced in this way.