New anti-icing materials come out! Ice is no longer terrible in winter2019-01-22 17:30:58 38 ℃
Science and Technology Daily, Beijing, January 20 (intern journalist Hu Dingkun) Ice and snow disasters sometimes make people sigh and feel helpless. However, researchers at the University of Houston in the United States have recently developed a new anti-icing material, which is expected to completely solve the problem of ice formation on aircraft, cables and other surfaces. According to a paper published in International Materials Horizons by
researchers, a new physical theory called stress localization is proposed to change and predict the properties of new materials. Based on these predictions, they created a durable silicone polymer coating that prevents icing on any surface. It is not uncommon that the ice and breakage of power supply lines caused by
snow and rain disasters lead to large-scale power outages. The danger of icing goes beyond that. In February 2018, a Russian 148 passenger plane crashed because of the ice of an airspeed tube, which caused the pilots to get wrong speed information. All 65 passengers and 6 crew members were killed. It is reported that the damage caused by ice in the United States is billions of dollars every year. Hardy Gathermi, one of the main authors of the
paper, said that he had developed several new anti-icing materials before, but like other existing materials, it could not completely overcome the problem of ice adhesion on the surface, mechanical structure and environmental impact durability. Stress localization theory enables new materials to avoid this situation. According to this theory, the interface between the material and ice will produce cracks, which will cause the ice to fall off. The forces needed to create cracks are small, such as air flow on the surface of an aircraft during flight. Tests show that this material can be sprayed on any surface without changing the aerodynamic performance of the aircraft, and has stable structure and durability, and is not affected by ultraviolet light. One-time spraying can last more than 10 years. Bill Cook, author of
paper correspondence, said that the new theory pointed out a way to reduce experiments and errors in new materials research, which is consistent with the development of materials science towards a physically driven direction. Input the properties of the material you want, and the new theory will tell you what materials you need to synthesize. This concept can also be used to develop new materials with excellent antimicrobial or other properties.
Guess you like
- 2019-01-31Does the Moon have water? The answer has been revealed, Chang'e No. 4 will tell you.
- 2018-12-04The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket puts 64 satellites into orbit, and the rocket is the third to be reused.
- 2018-11-16"Artificial Sun" was born in China, the electronic temperature is as high as 100 million degrees, and Americans are the enemy.
- 2018-11-13The advantages of dark chocolate are quite a lot, but be careful not to eat with calcium-containing foods!
- 2018-11-13Self-assembled protein
- 2018-10-24Black holes are all understood! Then do you know what a white hole is?
- 2018-09-19What to eat determines what you want
- 2018-08-29A lightning bolt in the sky, how much electricity? The answer you can't think of
- 2018-08-19It’s coming, the Arctic permafrost is “suddenly thawed” and is expected to double by 2050.
- 2018-08-04unsolved puzzle! Why does the stone move by itself? Troubled by many scientists
- The terrible nature makes the body cool.
- NASA's New Mission: Exploring the Origin of the Universe
- There is a new explanation for this kind of landform on Earth and Mars.
- Crossing the boundary of hybrid animals
- 70% probability! US NOAA authority forecast: El Nino or upcoming in autumn and winter
- There is no dry firewood seal, as long as there is a bed in the heart, wherever you can sleep, the leopard is cool...
- 20 moving pictures with feelings: these familiar things are produced in this way.
- The strongest hurricane hit the East Coast of the United States in 29 years! Looking at Hurricane Florence from space
- British supermarket pork detected deadly mutant bacteria, only because of the use of antibiotics that have been banned for two years in China
- Another creature is facing extinction! The last "land" of the Adelie penguin may be reduced by 50% in 10 years.