The world's second largest ice sheet is about to collapse! Scientist Helplessly: It's too late to go home.2019-01-31 10:26:12 107 ℃
"The Greenland ice sheet is melting at an incredible rate, but there is nothing we can do about it." Michael Bevis, a professor at Ohio State University, wrote in his paper. The only thing we can do is to adapt to and slow down further global warming, but it's too late. "Nothing will help save Greenland's tens of billions of tons of melted ice." For tens of thousands of years,the unstable natural climatic phenomena caused by the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) will disturb the atmospheric pressure at sea level, thus increasing both the amount of glacier melting and the rate of glacier melting. But before the Industrial Revolution, the carrying capacity of nature enabled the ice sheet to withstand such climate disturbances. Until human industrial activities accelerated global warming, the natural balance was finally broken. In other words, human-induced global warming is responsible for the melting of the Greenland ice sheet, and the North Atlantic Oscillation has only deepened its impact. According to Bevis, we are almost on the road of no return. The warming climate has changed the natural environment and climate cycle, which makes Greenland's ice sheet melt faster and faster, and the melting ice sheet will further promote the rise of global temperature, which is an irreversible vicious circle. The first challenge we face is the acceleration of sea level rise. In the future, the coastal areas will be submerged by rising sea water, and human beings may be forced to migrate to the plateau and the center of the mainland. The living area will become smaller and smaller. Freshwater available for drinking will also become scarce. Human civilization may also be greatly hit. The root cause of all this is the unrestricted destruction of the environment by human beings themselves.
How serious will the consequences of global warming be? Even Professor Michael Bevis, who specializes in climate change, asks, but no one knows the answer.Author/Zhu Zhanghangyue
Guess you like
- 2019-03-01Five big "deviation" inventions make you stunned...
- 2019-01-31Does the Moon have water? The answer has been revealed, Chang'e No. 4 will tell you.
- 2018-12-04The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket puts 64 satellites into orbit, and the rocket is the third to be reused.
- 2018-11-16"Artificial Sun" was born in China, the electronic temperature is as high as 100 million degrees, and Americans are the enemy.
- 2018-11-13The advantages of dark chocolate are quite a lot, but be careful not to eat with calcium-containing foods!
- 2018-11-13Self-assembled protein
- 2018-10-24Black holes are all understood! Then do you know what a white hole is?
- 2018-09-19What to eat determines what you want
- 2018-08-29A lightning bolt in the sky, how much electricity? The answer you can't think of
- 2018-08-19It’s coming, the Arctic permafrost is “suddenly thawed” and is expected to double by 2050.
- Is the water in the Mariana Trench 10,000 meters deep still liquid? What's the temperature?
- Are pineapples or pineapples sold all over the street? It's a big difference. I finally got it today.
- It has been sealed underground by human beings for 100,000 years. Even if the world is destroyed, it can not be opened.
- The terrible nature makes the body cool.
- NASA's New Mission: Exploring the Origin of the Universe
- There is a new explanation for this kind of landform on Earth and Mars.
- Crossing the boundary of hybrid animals
- 70% probability! US NOAA authority forecast: El Nino or upcoming in autumn and winter
- There is no dry firewood seal, as long as there is a bed in the heart, wherever you can sleep, the leopard is cool...
- 20 moving pictures with feelings: these familiar things are produced in this way.