Scientists recently realized that AI could lead to medical research going astray.2019-02-18 18:32:53 78 ℃
According to the Financial Times, a group of top scientists and medical statisticians warned on Friday that the use of artificial intelligence in some biomedical fields would lead to inaccurate conclusions.< p> "Many of the research conclusions from the analysis of large data using machine learning technology can not be trusted by me." Genevera Allen, an associate professor at Baylor College of Medicine at Rice University, warned at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Machine learning has been used to study the relationship between scientific and medical data and certain phenomena, such as the association between genes and diseases. In precision medicine, researchers look for patients with similar DNA, so that treatment programs can target specific pathogenic genes.
"A lot of technology is for forecasting." "But I've never come back to the conclusion that I don't know or that I didn't find anything because they didn't consider it in their design process," Allen said.
She was reluctant to point out specific cases, but said that the research conclusions of machine learning on cancer data were good examples.
"There are many cases that cannot be repeated." "Clusters found in one study are very different from those found in another," Allen said. Why does this happen? Because most machine learning technologies today say,'I found a group. But sometimes it's more helpful to put it another way: I think some of them are really grouped, but I'm not sure about others.
Once machine learning discovers that there is a specific link between the patient's genes and disease characteristics, human researchers may provide a reasonable scientific explanation for the corresponding findings. But that doesn't mean these findings are correct.
Allen said, "You can always find reasons why certain genes are grouped together." Computer scientists have only recently begun to realize this problem, which may lead medical researchers to take the wrong path and waste resources to confirm results that cannot be repeated.
Allen and her colleagues are working to improve statistical and machine learning techniques so that AI can criticize its own data analysis and point out how likely some discoveries are real rather than immediately relevant.
"One idea is to specifically scramble data to see if the results will remain unchanged." She said.
- In the previous：A frozen person frozen at minus 196 degrees Celsius may never be able to resurrect.
- The next article：NASA: Four astronauts will return to the moon in 2028
Guess you like
- 2019-03-01Five big "deviation" inventions make you stunned...
- 2019-01-31Does the Moon have water? The answer has been revealed, Chang'e No. 4 will tell you.
- 2018-12-04The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket puts 64 satellites into orbit, and the rocket is the third to be reused.
- 2018-11-16"Artificial Sun" was born in China, the electronic temperature is as high as 100 million degrees, and Americans are the enemy.
- 2018-11-13The advantages of dark chocolate are quite a lot, but be careful not to eat with calcium-containing foods!
- 2018-11-13Self-assembled protein
- 2018-10-24Black holes are all understood! Then do you know what a white hole is?
- 2018-09-19What to eat determines what you want
- 2018-08-29A lightning bolt in the sky, how much electricity? The answer you can't think of
- 2018-08-19It’s coming, the Arctic permafrost is “suddenly thawed” and is expected to double by 2050.
- Is the water in the Mariana Trench 10,000 meters deep still liquid? What's the temperature?
- Are pineapples or pineapples sold all over the street? It's a big difference. I finally got it today.
- It has been sealed underground by human beings for 100,000 years. Even if the world is destroyed, it can not be opened.
- The terrible nature makes the body cool.
- NASA's New Mission: Exploring the Origin of the Universe
- There is a new explanation for this kind of landform on Earth and Mars.
- Crossing the boundary of hybrid animals
- 70% probability! US NOAA authority forecast: El Nino or upcoming in autumn and winter
- There is no dry firewood seal, as long as there is a bed in the heart, wherever you can sleep, the leopard is cool...
- 20 moving pictures with feelings: these familiar things are produced in this way.