"It's sunny. Clouds cover the sun." - Sorry, there may be no clouds in the future.2019-03-01 15:47:37 21 ℃
"Shout loudly to Baiyun and say I love you"
"If Yunyun knows, it is not difficult to find the figure of"Yun"in many popular songs that expose your age, as if the cloud exists in our world as a matter of course. Recently, however, scientists have found that if global temperatures continue to rise, stratocumulus clouds in the sky may disappear rapidly. By then, the Earth will be warming up to 12 degrees Celsius - a change that is undoubtedly devastating.
56 million years ago, the concentration of carbon dioxide on the earth increased sharply, with the temperature rising by 5 C in a few thousand years. Animals and plants on land have been forced to migrate to the poles, while marine life has died in large numbers due to acidification and anoxia of seawater. This event has left abundant evidence in strata all over the world, historically known as the "Paleocene-Eocene extreme heat event".
At that time, the rate of carbon dioxide surge was only 1/10 of today's.
The historical records that remain in the strata give climatologists the opportunity to test their climate models. However, even considering the different geographic, marine and biological environments of the Earth at that time, the rate of temperature rise deduced from the climate model based on the increase of carbon dioxide still lags far behind the actual temperature increase in geological records. Their climate models seem to miss out on an important factor .
This factor may be < strong > cloud.
On today's earth, two-thirds of the earth's surface is covered by clouds at every moment. White clouds reflect more sunlight than darker land and oceans. However, as the planet warms, there will be fewer clouds. This will lead to a vicious cycle of : temperature rise less clouds less reflected sunlight more sunlight absorption higher temperature less clouds
This effect was previously apparent in more crude models, but until now, climatologists have been able to use supercomputers to simulate detailed changes in cloud cover during warming. To be exact, they simulated stratocumulus with lower altitude and the most significant cooling effect .
Simulated stratiform cumulus clouds (elevation perspective)| A World Without Clouds/quantgazine.org
This achievement was published in the top journal Nature Geoscience on February 25.
But the solution to this problem is not worth cheering up, on the contrary, there is reason for us to be more worried. Because then, climatologists apply the tested climate models to the times we live in.
Computer simulation shows that the disappearance of < strong > cloud cover is not a gradual process, but a critical point when the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere rises to 1200 ppm, stratocumulus will become unstable and dissipate rapidly. As mentioned earlier, today's surge in atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration is 10 times faster than the "Paleocene-Eocene extreme heat event" 56 million years ago. If fossil fuels are still used as they are now, it will take less than 100 years to exceed this threshold.
Now, if the new climate model is correct, after exceeding the critical concentration, the cloud cover will quickly disappear, allowing the earth's surface to absorb more light, leading to an average temperature above 4 C, where the greenhouse effect has risen, and then soar by about 8 .
That's the temperature rise of 12 C. Such climate change will be devastating at all levels.
Of course, optimistically, the new climate model may not be accurate, let alone for nearly 100 years. People who read this article today probably have little chance to see that day come. Perhaps, this matter has nothing to do with you, can hang up high.
But if everyone thinks so, the end of human civilization may not be far away.
author : steed
< strong> editor : meow sauce
section> How can the scenery of good-looking disappear?
How can the scenery of good-looking disappear?
Guess you like
- 2019-03-01Five big "deviation" inventions make you stunned...
- 2019-01-31Does the Moon have water? The answer has been revealed, Chang'e No. 4 will tell you.
- 2018-12-04The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket puts 64 satellites into orbit, and the rocket is the third to be reused.
- 2018-11-16"Artificial Sun" was born in China, the electronic temperature is as high as 100 million degrees, and Americans are the enemy.
- 2018-11-13The advantages of dark chocolate are quite a lot, but be careful not to eat with calcium-containing foods!
- 2018-11-13Self-assembled protein
- 2018-10-24Black holes are all understood! Then do you know what a white hole is?
- 2018-09-19What to eat determines what you want
- 2018-08-29A lightning bolt in the sky, how much electricity? The answer you can't think of
- 2018-08-19It’s coming, the Arctic permafrost is “suddenly thawed” and is expected to double by 2050.
- The terrible nature makes the body cool.
- NASA's New Mission: Exploring the Origin of the Universe
- There is a new explanation for this kind of landform on Earth and Mars.
- Crossing the boundary of hybrid animals
- 70% probability! US NOAA authority forecast: El Nino or upcoming in autumn and winter
- There is no dry firewood seal, as long as there is a bed in the heart, wherever you can sleep, the leopard is cool...
- 20 moving pictures with feelings: these familiar things are produced in this way.
- The strongest hurricane hit the East Coast of the United States in 29 years! Looking at Hurricane Florence from space
- British supermarket pork detected deadly mutant bacteria, only because of the use of antibiotics that have been banned for two years in China
- Another creature is facing extinction! The last "land" of the Adelie penguin may be reduced by 50% in 10 years.