US stocks have plunged, what is the real murder?2018-12-06 00:25:22 22 ℃
US bond yields are rare upside down
December 3rd US Treasury Market Many people are very shocked. The 2-year US Treasury yield rose by more than 3 basis points to 2.8211%; the 3-year US bond yield rose by less than 3 basis points to 2.8274%; the 5-year US bond yield rose by less than 1 basis point. Reported at 2.8185%; 10-year US Treasury yield fell less than 2 basis points to 2.9697%.
The 3-year and 5-year US Treasury yields have been reversed for the first time in 11 years. The gap between the 2-year and 10-year US Treasury yields has also narrowed to slightly above 15 basis points, the same as the lowest level in 11 years.
In fact, the reversal of the yield curve is often seen as one of the signs of a recession, and banks are at risk of reversing borrowing costs. Short-term debt yields are higher than long-term debt, meaning that long-term investment confidence is weakened. Investors' expectations for future earnings have fallen.
Global stock market volatility
Historically, the rate of return has become a leading indicator, not only for the United States The economic outlook is bleak, and it is likely that the US stock market will also undergo a major adjustment, which will not be good news for the global financial market. Coupled with the recent volatility of US stocks, investors who are very worried about the international economic environment, such as the scared bird.
The three major US stock indexes fell sharply overnight, and the long-term and short-term US bond yields were upside down. This has caused investors to worry about the prospects of the US economy. At the close, the Dow fell 799.36 points, down 3.10%, to 25027.07 points, the biggest one-day drop since October 10; the Nasdaq closed 3.80%, reported 7154.43 points, once again entered the revised area.
< p> S&P 500 index fell 3.24% to 2700.06 points, falling below the 200-day line. The Nasdaq fell 3.8% to 7158.43 points. The Dow and the S&P 500 hit their biggest one-day decline since October 10, and the Nasdaq hit its biggest one-day drop since October 24. The so-called "FAANG" stocks - Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google - have shrunk by more than $140 billion.
Unexpectedly, apart from the US stock market, this "disaster" also affected Europe. And the Asia Pacific stock market. It can be said that the global stock market is already "dead and wounded."
What are the consequences of the rate of inversion?
Today, the influence of the downside of US Treasury yields is already obvious, so what are the consequences for the market next?
Historical data shows that since the 1950s, there have been 10 yields in the United States. In the end, there were nine recessions and the other one occurred in the mid-1960s. US bond yields are upside down to the US recession, usually between 15 and 36 months. In the nine recessions, real GDP growth slowed by an average of 5.6 percentage points from the beginning of interest rate hikes to the low point of economic recession. After the emergence of these 10 times of interest rate inversion, the Dow Jones index has been significantly reduced without exception.
In short, the yield of government bonds is basically equal to the benchmark interest rate. Logically, short-term Treasury yields are higher than long-term Treasury bonds, or short-term high interest rates have curbed economic growth, or the potential for long-term economic growth is difficult to support short-term high interest rates. From another perspective, long-term interest rate declines mean that investors are more pessimistic about long-term economic growth, while short-term interest rates are higher, which will have a negative impact on the current economy.
No need to worry too much
For the 3 year period that just appeared The 5-year US Treasury yields are upside down, and mainstream Wall Street institutions believe that investors do not need to worry too much. Peng Bo quoted some fund managers' opinions as saying that the three-year and five-year US bond yields will not affect the performance of various assets in the short term; the 2-year and 10-year US bond yields will be upside down. More attention to the market, the impact on the market is even greater.
But for the US banking industry, they are very worried about the downside of US bond yields. Some banks said that the rate of return of stocks means that the economic outlook is uncertain, the quality of existing loan portfolios will decline, the risk tolerance of banks will decline, and the profits from loans will be reduced, and the bank's loan business will be unprofitable. . Once the credit crunch in the banking industry means that the long-term financing of enterprises will encounter difficulties. This will directly affect the real economy and further limit economic growth.
Shen Wan Hongyuan Securities believes that the long-term interest rate of US long-term government bonds is upside down, usually accompanied by the change of monetary policy and economic cycle, and judges the more significant economy of the United States through the 3-5 year term spread of US debt. The recession is too early, but as the Fed raises interest rates into the later stage, the gradual slowdown in US economic growth in the medium term will be a high probability event.
Guess you like
- 2018-12-16How many people have a monthly salary of 5,000 yuan? Not as much as you think
- 2018-12-14By investing to pull the economy back and forth, where is the future reform?
- 2018-12-12Just now, Dong Mingzhu denied that it is an iron cock: Gree does not pay dividends in 2017 is more for 2018
- 2018-12-10"Double-width cycle" is coming soon! If so, the property market is likely to usher in a retaliatory rebound
- 2018-12-08Live | 2018 Sanya Finance International Forum
- 2018-12-07There are 450,000 direct sales! The second-hand housing market in this first-tier city is cooling down.
- 2018-12-07In the first half of 2018, global house prices rose by 50! Why are these 9 mainland second-tier cities on the list?
- 2018-12-06In the 2019 US stocks, Hong Kong stocks and A-shares, how should investors choose?
- 2018-12-05The Ministry of Commerce responded to the China-US economic and trade consultation: the meeting was very successful and confidence in implementation
- 2018-12-03Zhuge looking for a house: the average price of second-hand housing in Baicheng fell for three consecutive months
- People are not as good as days, slamming 47% in 6 days, Shanghai Lai Shi capital chain is in a hurry
- Xu Jiayin's wife made her first public appearance.
- The oil price has dropped by 30%. The picture shows the small plot behind the big drop.
- Review: The two cities fluctuated within a narrow range throughout the day, the Shanghai index rose 0.37%, the communications equipment sector led the rise
- Buy Huawei mobile phones, subsidies! Buy an apple, fine! The Shenzhen manufacturer who supports Huawei is coming to the head.
- "Double-width cycle" is coming soon! If so, the property market is likely to usher in a retaliatory rebound
- Why do multinational companies do this in China?
- Live | 2018 Sanya Finance International Forum
- General Administration of Market Supervision: Strengthening anti-monopoly law enforcement in the field of APIs
- Suddenly, Baidu hangs! Mobile phone Baidu, Baidu PC end large area down!