Why are the 2500 islands of the Aegean Sea mostly Greek and rarely Turkish?2019-04-01 11:25:44 447 ℃
Greece and Turkey have become enemies again. The CEO of Greece's management is going to celebrate on the Aegean Island, which belongs to Greece. Turkish military planes are targeting him, reigniting the old and new hatred between the two countries in the Aegean Sea.Aegean Sea covers an area of 214,000 square kilometers, which is the only sea area connecting the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea, and has very high strategic value. During the Ottoman Empire, Greece was Turkish, not to mention the Aegean Sea. But in 1832, Greece became independent from Turkey. In the first Balkan War, Turkey was defeated and was forced to cede its islands to Greece. There are about 2500 islands in the Aegean Sea. In the London Peace Treaty of November 1913, in order to punish Turkey, the major powers assigned more than 2400 of the 2500 islands to Greece. Originally all of the Aegean islands belong to Turkey, but still belong to Turkey, only Gerkche Island, Metz and other more than 60 islands.
To this day, Turkey is angry about this division. Turkey nominally borders the Aegean Sea, but in fact Turkish ships enter Greek territory as soon as they leave their coastline. Turkey controls the Turkish Strait (Bosporus Strait, Dardaniel Strait), and the coastal states of the Black Sea have to look at Turkey's face to enter the Mediterranean Sea. But Turkey's entry into the Mediterranean from the Aegean Sea depends on Greece's face. Turkey ruled Greece for four hundred years, which Greeks called the most humiliating four hundred years in history. Hatred of Turkey is a bone in the neck. Therefore, Turkish ships (military, civil) have to cross Greek territory into the Mediterranean, not so easy.
Turkey is very dissatisfied with such a division, and a statement has been made. Turkey said that a single document would not solve the Greek-Turkish dispute at all. So some islands need Greece and Turkey to renegotiate to determine ownership. Turkey says that some islands are not in the so-called peace treaty and do not belong to Greece. But we would like to sit down with Greece.
Greece was angry all over the country, shouting: Turkey wants to change its territorial division with Greece, only war! You're not wrong, only war! Greece will devote all its efforts to defending even the Greek islands, which are less than one square kilometer long. Greece will never recognize the so-called transitional islands, which have been written to belong to Greece. The territorial sea is more troublesome than territorial division. The controversy lies in how many kilometres the territorial sea is wide. According to their own interests, countries have different standards. Before 1958, the International Territorial Sea width was 3 nautical miles and 6 nautical miles. The Greek and Turkish standards are all six nautical miles, but Greece announced 28 years earlier than Turkey, which was set in 1936. But in 1958, there appeared a territorial sea width of 12 nautical miles in the world. It is proud that 12 nautical miles were formulated by our country.
There is another factor. Previously, every country had planned food on land. In the 1960s and 1970s, every country gradually attached importance to the marine economy. Greece has most of the Aegean islands, so it wants the territorial sea to be 12 nautical miles wide. If so, Greece would account for 71.5% of the Aegean Sea and Turkey for only 8.7%. Since 1974, Greece has been working to expand its territorial waters to 12 nautical miles. Naturally, Turkey is strongly opposed to Greece's 12 nautical miles.
In fact, Turkey's waters in the Aegean Sea are less divided by 6 nautical miles than by 12 nautical miles, only 7.4%. Turkey is dissatisfied with the fact that Greece's Aegean waters have soared from 43.6% to 71.5%. According to this division, the Aegean Sea has almost become the Greek inland sea. Turkey's development in the Aegean Sea will suffer a heavy blow. At least, the strategic value of the Turkish Strait will be greatly reduced.
Turkey's angry saliva sprayed on Greece's face, saying that in other sea areas, it can be applied for 12 nautical miles, after all, the sea surface is relatively broad. However, the Aegean Sea is not very large and there are too many islands. It is extremely unfair to divide the Aegean Sea into 12 nautical miles for other countries (only Turkey).
Turkey is no longer as powerful as the Ottoman Empire, but also a medium power, several times larger than Greece. Greece is a little afraid of Turkey's almost desperate opposition. But the Greek compromise is now, for the future, Greece or that sentence: We will never give up 12 nautical miles! The division of territorial waters also led to the division of continental shelf. The Aegean Sea is rich in petroleum resources. Neither Greece nor Turkey is a major oil and gas country. The oil in the Aegean Sea is a must for every barrel. More troublesome than territorial sea division is the division of airspace. Airplanes fly in the sky, slightly careless will fly across the border, serious situation will lead to war.
The division of airspace also uses sea miles, but only atmospheric space. However, territorial sea division and airspace division must first be based on territorial ownership. Greece occupies most of the Aegean Islands, and the division of airspace is also beneficial to Greece. Greece said: Considering the relationship between Greece and Turkey, we can reduce our airspace from 12 nautical miles to 10 nautical miles. In Turkey's view, however, Greece's concessions are no different from its non-concessions. The islands of Greece are all at Turkey's doorstep. What's the difference between 12 and 10 nautical miles? For example, if a prisoner is sentenced to 170 years and 150 years after appeal, what is the significance of such a sentence?
Greek airspace, which Turkey considers acceptable, is only six nautical miles. Greece is even more angry, saying that you do not recognize, does not mean that other countries do not recognize. We only recognize 10 nautical miles of airspace, you have the courage to fly over!
Then, the two planes often meet over the Aegean Sea...
Turkey insists that the tension in the Aegean Sea is due to the unfair division of the islands. Greece believes that Turkey is not qualified to own more than 60 islands in the Aegean Sea, and must "return" all of them to Greece.
Tu-Greek Classical Style Clothing
Nobody will give in.
More Greek and Turkish articles, Please subscribe to Wechat, Map Emperor
Guess you like
- 2019-08-07The Jade Emperor’s banquet will eat the dragon liver. Why does the Dragon King not resist? Xiao Bailong unveiled the answer
- 2019-04-25The different landscapes of Sochi, a Soviet resort in 1988
- 2019-04-01The only person who was framed by Cao Cao and Liu Bei, the two great warlords, did not know whether it was glory or sorrow.
- 2019-03-01"The Queen of Solitary Solitude" is broadcasting the real solitary Gallo in history.
- 2019-02-18The first time that the Forbidden City opened its ticketing website to the public in the evening collapsed at zero!
- 2019-01-31Okamura Ningci's most headached Eighth Route Army generals used axes to chop down the emperor's cousin
- 2019-01-13The first injustice case of the National College Entrance Examination in China: the first champion was killed, the examiner was exiled, and the top 51 scores were all abolished.
- 2018-12-04"Huguang Governor" and "Governor Governor", who is higher? Which one is more powerful?
- 2018-11-18Is there a possible treasure map in Jin Yong's martial arts?
- 2018-11-14Why are the more powerful military generals unable to gain the trust of Chiang Kai-shek?
- Why are the 2500 islands of the Aegean Sea mostly Greek and rarely Turkish?
- "The Queen of Solitary Solitude" is broadcasting the real solitary Gallo in history.
- The U.S. Army fired 1.9 million shells but could not destroy the volunteer line in Shangganling
- Why is it so easy for Zhao Kuangxu to launch Chen Qiao Mutiny?
- Does the Lantern Festival Palace Museum open this year? See you tomorrow.
- How do the Gulf people evaluate the Communist Party? You can't imagine the answer!
- Is there a possible treasure map in Jin Yong's martial arts?
- Why are the more powerful military generals unable to gain the trust of Chiang Kai-shek?
- Old photos of Japanese invasion of China: Hell empty demons in Nanjing
- Which of the governors of Shaanxi and Gansu and the governor of Shandong is even more powerful?