The loss of soldiers will be dismal: the US media counts 5 catastrophic wars in the United States2018-12-03 20:25:24 105 ℃
Reference News Network reported on December 3 According to an article published on December 1st of the US National Interests bimonthly website entitled "The United States has used force five times (the result is counterproductive)", The United States has been and will continue to be the most powerful country on the planet. However, even superpowers can make mistakes that lead to strategic mistakes and reputational damage. The United States is no exception.
The article stated that Washington’s policy makers have the most technologically advanced and dedicated military in the world, but this does not mean that the army should be used in the event of a crisis. In fact, contemporary history has repeatedly shown that if there is no clear and achievable goal to guide the strategy, deploying the hard power of the United States will be a prelude to task creep, strategic shift and waste of money.
The most negative war in American history is the US military involvement in Vietnam for more than 10 years. . In the early 1960s, the United States sent an advisory group to the South Vietnamese government to evolve into a quagmire that was difficult to escape. Eventually, the US national treasury was exhausted, causing the death of 58,000 American soldiers, inspiring a large proportion of Americans to oppose their own government.
2. Lebanon (1982-1984)
By 1982, Lebanon was no longer an independent country. The Israeli, Palestinian and Syrian forces have waged fierce power struggles, each supporting different militia groups that have torn the country’s social fabric. In response to the fear of another Arab-Israeli war, President Reagan signed a national security directive, approved the US military to participate in multinational peacekeeping forces, and listed "enhancement of the ability of the Lebanese government to control, manage and defend its sovereign territory" as the United States. Formal policy.
However, Lebanon is a gunpowder barrel that does not yet have a peaceful settlement. All regional forces are vying for dominance. The PLO’s troops are not withdrawing, and the Syrian army refuses to leave. The Marine Corps became the target of Hezbollah suicide bombers. An American pilot was captured and given more political chips to the parliamentarians who opposed the troops to advocate a full withdrawal. In the spring of 1984, Reagan did.
The picture shows the US military fighting in Iraq
3. Iraq (2003-2011 Years)
Although the casualties of the US military are far less severe than those of Vietnam 40 years ago, the US attack and occupation of Iraq will always be called the biggest foreign policy disaster since the Vietnam War. The purpose of attacking the country, that is, overthrowing Saddam’s regime and establishing a pro-American democratic government in Baghdad is based on an ignorant naive idea that Western powers can easily transplant a new regime in the Arab world.
4. Libya (2011)
Gaddafi’s actions against his 40-year peaceful protest have forced the international community to respond in a hurry. In March 2011, the UN Security Council quickly passed a resolution authorizing the protection of civilians by all necessary means, including the use of force. In just a few weeks, however, the anti-Qadhafi military alliance led by NATO has changed from protecting civilians to pushing for political change. Gaddafi was deposed a few months later. In October 2011, Gaddafi was killed by opposition forces.
Since then, Libya has been the reality version of "Mad Max". The Libyan government, recognized by the United Nations, is in name only, and the country’s oil deposits have led to guilt between the various armed factions. Major countries in the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Qatar have used Libya to fight their own embarrassment. This country has become a springboard for immigration from Africa to Europe, stirring European politics towards populism. At the same time, the security interests of the United States have not been realized.
The September 11th terrorist attacks brought the United States into sorrow and anger. The American people wanted legitimate revenge, and the Bush administration gave them promptly. By December 2001, the Taliban regime that provided shelter for al-Qaeda was wiped out.
Washington did not pack up and go home after doing the job. It started a "social science experiment" in a country where few Americans have heard of it. The goal is no longer to focus on clearing the al-Qaeda remnants, but to focus on building a centralized Western-style democracy from scratch. American soldiers are now acting as guardians of a new political order.
After 17 years, Afghanistan is in a dire situation. There are still 14,000 US troops in the country. The Afghan government relies almost entirely on foreign funds, and its military has always been plagued by poor leadership, poor tactics, corrupted officers, shortage of weapons and almost no logistical capacity. Nearly 30,000 Afghan soldiers have lost their lives since 2015. This natural attrition rate has caused many Afghans to retire after they have served in the first class. Many people couldn't wait, so they drove away.
The most important lessons are simple but significant: if the United States plans to use force or engage in war, it is best to have practical goals. More importantly, it is the last resort in desperation, and it is best to have a major national security interest in the United States.
Guess you like
- 2018-12-24The United States signs an order to withdraw troops from Syria. Orderer: Matisse, who is leaving
- 2018-12-13Why is my country not equipped with grenade and grenade launchers? A small part is not fixed!
- 2018-12-03The loss of soldiers will be dismal: the US media counts 5 catastrophic wars in the United States
- 2018-11-17The Chinese Navy's 20,000-ton ship appeared in the East China Sea.
- 2018-11-14The first Aegis ship in history was sunk, and a large area of pollution was formed along the Norwegian coast.
- 2018-11-10New progress in military reform: new appearance of the PLA General Hospital
- 2018-11-07In the days when Wang Wei sacrificed 17 years, 7 months and 7 days, China had its own "Cobra" maneuver.
- 2018-11-06Who will not be happy? Zhuhai Air Show revealed a major news: 歼-20A will come out
- 2018-11-02late at night! The 41th Beidou satellite successfully launched
- 2018-11-01The United States will deploy 15,000 soldiers on the US-Mexico border. The scale is similar to that of the Afghan war.
- The United States announced a major news, marking the world's heavyweight electromagnetic gun competition has decided the result!
- Internal exposure of domestic 039A submarine: dormitory like hard sleeper, kitchen with oven
- Clever design! The Syrian rebels captured the Russian military robots and just wanted to give the US military a loud noise.
- Church apprentice starved to death master? The Pakistani iron fighter can buy 7 million, and China can't open this price.
- 歼-20 patrol the South China Sea dream come true! The first flight of the oil-oil -20 was successful.
- Why is Japan’s “out of the cloud” class an aircraft carrier?
- Hang up! The Indian tank faced 2 times the Pakistani army but played a 1 to 10 battle loss ratio!
- Norwegian shipwreck salvage plan released Chinese crane ship overnight operation Nanjing semi-submersible ship is on standby
- The Chinese Air Force is preparing to issue a Thunder strike? Competing with the Pakistani Railways
- Xinhua News Agency confirms the development of China's third aircraft carrier: it has been built in order on the slipway