The “artificial meat” field will be the first listed company to lose $30.4 million last year.2018-11-19 10:25:13 166 ℃
Source: Photographing Network (unrelated to graphics)
In recent years, the "artificial meat" technology has been The representative food technology industry has become a hot spot for investment in Silicon Valley. Immediately, this boom is expected to sweep Wall Street.
The latest documents disclosed by the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) show that the US artificial meat company Beyond Meat has applied for an initial public offering (IPO) with a planned financing of $100 million. The company will become an artificial meat sector. The first listed company. Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and Credit Suisse Group will be co-leaders of the IPO, and Beyond Meat will trade on NASDAQ under the code BYN.Many big coffee bets
Beyond Meat was founded in 2009, the company is located in El Segundo, California. Initially, the company focused on frozen chicken research and later turned to artificial meat research. According to the company's filings with the SEC, Beyond Meat's ace product, Beyond Burger, labeled "Looking, Cooking, Tasting and Traditional Beef No Different" has gradually gained consumer acceptance. Beyond Meat's products are currently sold in mainstream US supermarkets such as Kroger, Whole Foods, etc., and have been selected as menus for many restaurants.
Data shows that Beyond Meat's revenue in 2017 reached $32.6 million, with a loss of $30.4 million; revenue for 2016 was $16.2 million, with a loss of $25.1 million.
The company's largest shareholder is venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers LLC, which holds a 16% stake in Beyond Meat, Obvious Ventures holds a 10% stake, and US food giant Tyson holds 5% Shares. Beyond Meat's individual investors are among the big names, including Microsoft founder Bill Gates, famous movie star Leonardo DiCaprio, and McDonald's former CEO Don Thompson.The prospect of artificial meat industry is bright
At present, there are two general ideas for artificial meat: one is to extract protein from plants such as beans and wheat, to simulate the taste of meat, and to process it into a similar taste to meat fiber. "Flesh meat"; the second is to extract stem cells from animals, adding oxygen, sugar and other nutrients to the container for cultivation. Beyond Meat belongs to the former. After using new techniques and methods, Beyond Meat's artificial meat tastes like real meat. According to the company, since 2016, its artificial meat burgers have sold tens of millions.
Most artificial meats are dominated by "healthy" and "environmental" cards, and Beyond Meat is no exception. Its official website emphasizes that artificial meat mainly uses plant protein such as soybeans and peas. Compared with ordinary beef burgers, their artificial meat burgers can save 99% of water, 93% of land, and 90% of emissions in the production process. 46% of energy.
The data provided by research institutions show that the global population is expected to grow to 9 billion in 2050. The middle-class consumer group will grow, and the demand for and consumption of protein will increase, which will increase the environmental burden. Meat and dairy products provide 18% of calories and 37% protein to humans, but the livestock industry accounts for 83% of the cultivated land and emits 60% of greenhouse gases.
In recent years, Silicon Valley has set off a wave of food technology entrepreneurship and investment. According to institutional estimates, the food science and technology industry has a bright future, and the market size in the future is expected to reach the level of 100 billion US dollars. In fact, since 2014, many investment companies have begun to get involved in the artificial meat sector. In the same year, Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka-shing injected $10 million into artificial meat start-up company Modern Meadow in New York through its investment company Horizons Ventures for the development of artificial meat. In addition to investing in Beyond Meat, Bill Gates also invested in another startup that also made artificial meat, Impossible Burger,
. At the same time, Israel is also at the forefront of the world in the development of artificial meat technology. . Its three well-known laboratory meat companies are SuperMeat, Future Meat Technologies and Meat the Future.
- In the previous：The last two Apple AirPort products are off the shelf
- The next article：MIUI10, EMUI9 and Flyme7, who is a smoother domestic UI system?
Guess you like
- 2019-04-01Jia Yueting's life and death in car building
- 2019-03-01Behind Faraday's future shutdown: the founder of layoffs and pay cuts left, Commander Jia Yueting Chengguang
- 2019-02-18Lin Bin: Xiaomi 9 Beautiful Beauty for Men and Women
- 2019-02-18Millet 9 transparent version debut! Three cameras behind the fuselage, mysterious disc behind the fuselage
- 2019-01-31Sony Xperia XZ4 full exposure: battery moving!
- 2019-01-13This 5G mobile phone raw materials explode the global war!
- 2019-01-02Xiaomi play use brief talk
- 2018-12-27Jingdong Suning has taken off the weight of the whole product, Taobao is still sold, Ali said that the investigation results are waiting
- 2018-12-27How to evaluate the glory V20? - A product that makes competitors sad in the winter!
- People who watch mobile phones for more than eight hours a day are not idle, but poor.
- The most supportive Ericsson in the United States, 5G orders are less than half of Huawei's, the CEO sold out miserably?
- Why can't Japan's mobile phone industry rise?
- Survey of Huaqiang North Guanpu Tide in Shenzhen: Some people make millions of dollars a year, and some people pass 9 ports to 2 ports...
- Millet 9 Added Game Tubro Game Mode: Dragon 855 Intelligent Carton Free
- Apple decided to lower the price of the iPhone! Cook: Acknowledging that the poor sales of new machines are due to overpricing
- Mobile off-line sales ranking in December: vivo, Huawei's top two, the iPhone XS Max is still strong
- The XR of the iPhone has fallen to 4733, and Apple will be critical in the next two years!
- Li Guoqing: Apologize for Liu Qiangdong's remarks, "Don't cheat guns in the name of love."
- Ruixing Coffee responded with a loss of over 800 million in one year: it will not become the next ofo