New York police use a lot of Chinese face technology? The media should wake up!2019-01-22 17:02:38 208 ℃
South China Morning Post website screenshot: New York police use Chinese face recognition technology, and now the report has been deleted
New York police use Chinese face recognition technology recently published in the English edition of South China Morning Post. New York police later denied the claim and pointed out many mistakes in the report. Face recognition in China is the world's leading technology, but for any developing technology, the most unnecessary thing is the media "slaughter". Chinese media should be more rigorous and accurate to create a healthy public opinion orientation and environment for the development of AI industry in China.
New York City Police Department uses Chinese Face Recognition Technology extensively: How strong is China in this respect? Recently, a report in the English edition of the South China Morning Post triggered a lot of media follow-up, one of which used the above sentence as the headline directly.
and even how good is Chinese face recognition technology? New York police use it extensively, identifying 10 million people in one second.
No matter how powerful the Chinese face recognition technology is, is the New York Police really using the Chinese face recognition technology?
extensively. Last Friday, the South China Morning Post published a report saying that "the New York Police Department is using cameras and facial recognition software developed in China". The article also gives a concrete example. River Park Towers, a 44-storey building in the Bronx District of New York with high crime rate and government subsidies for low-income residents, has installed a video surveillance system of Haicongwei TV in China. A suspect was scanned by the system after entering the building and immediately triggered an alarm, which enabled the New York police to successfully arrest him.
reported that "although it is not clear at present the specific scope and extent of the use of Chinese cameras and software in New York City's security network... uuuuuuuuu But the New York Police Department is using Haiconway's products on a large scale. The report also said that face recognition technology developed in the United States is prone to errors in identifying darker-skinned Afro-Americans and Latin Americans, and that Chinese face recognition technology performs well in this respect, which is also a major reason why the New York Police have adopted Chinese face recognition technology extensively. After the publication of the report,
, there was a strong response in the American media. Eventually, the NYPD had to officially respond to VOA via e-mail: "NYPD does not use Haiconway technology, nor does it use any face recognition technology for the real-time video system we access."
So is it the South China Morning Post reporting errors or the New York Police hiding facts?
after a close look at the Nanzao report, we found that the example of Haikongwei technology used by the New York City Police Department is a report (Cutting-edge Surveillance), which was published about five years ago by the US network security website Security Today. ) As the world's largest supplier of identification monitoring equipment,
, "It's perfectly normal for New York City Police to use Haikongwei's products in 2014," Zak Doffman, chief executive officer of digital Barriers, a foreign AIoT video surveillance equipment manufacturer, wrote in Forbes.
"But the situation is obviously different now." Doffman wrote. John Honovich, founder of IPVM, an American video surveillance research and testing company, wrote on his website (IPVM.com) that River Park Towers installed an IP Camera, which was installed in 2012 and belonged to the New York City Public Housing Economic Camera Project, not the Facial Recognition System used by the New York City Police Department. Even now, 99.999% of IP cameras sold on the market are not "AI products", but simply cameras with simple analysis, and their analysis is often inaccurate, let alone products in 2012, Honovich pointed out.
Now, the original report on Nanzao's website has been deleted.
As early as three years ago, Professor Zhou Zhihua of Nanjing University pointed out that AI in China is technically normal and progresses steadily. In the media, it's overheated and chaotic.
In 2016, Professor Zhou Zhihua was elected New Chi-yuan China Artificial Intelligence Person of the Year with 48% of the votes. At that time, Professor Zhou Zhihua said in an interview with Xin Zhiyuan that he hoped that the media could describe the development of AI more professionally and objectively to the society.
"Some media irresponsibly exaggerate, resulting in the"threat theory of artificial intelligence"and other boring statements have a negative impact on the public."
"(Current) Short Board is how to improve the public and even government departments'objective understanding of the development status and prospects of AI technology." Three years later, the demand for accurate and objective reports of AI and even high-tech industries in China has not decreased, rather more. It is a good thing to report the development of AI technology in China. However, in 2019, when AI technology in China is in a critical period of development, the most unnecessary thing is the media "slaughter".[Join the community] < p > New Intelligence Unit AI Technology + Industrial Community Recruitment, welcome the students interested in AI technology + industrial landing, _2 join the group; after the audit, we will invite them to join the community, after joining the community, we must revise the group notes (name-company-position; professional group audits are more rigorous, please understand).
Guess you like
- 2019-08-07The two Shanxi boss companies once stirred the A-shares, and now one is stranded in the United States and detained.
- 2019-08-07The highest drop is 300 yuan! Xiaomi's top flagship: 8G+128G+ screen fingerprint + 20W wireless fast charge
- 2019-04-01Jia Yueting's life and death in car building
- 2019-03-01Behind Faraday's future shutdown: the founder of layoffs and pay cuts left, Commander Jia Yueting Chengguang
- 2019-02-18Lin Bin: Xiaomi 9 Beautiful Beauty for Men and Women
- 2019-02-18Millet 9 transparent version debut! Three cameras behind the fuselage, mysterious disc behind the fuselage
- 2019-01-31Sony Xperia XZ4 full exposure: battery moving!
- 2019-01-13This 5G mobile phone raw materials explode the global war!
- 2019-01-02Xiaomi play use brief talk
- 2018-12-27Jingdong Suning has taken off the weight of the whole product, Taobao is still sold, Ali said that the investigation results are waiting
- Xiaomi MIUI 10 development version on-line dual clock function: overseas travel essential
- People who watch mobile phones for more than eight hours a day are not idle, but poor.
- The most supportive Ericsson in the United States, 5G orders are less than half of Huawei's, the CEO sold out miserably?
- Why can't Japan's mobile phone industry rise?
- Survey of Huaqiang North Guanpu Tide in Shenzhen: Some people make millions of dollars a year, and some people pass 9 ports to 2 ports...
- Millet 9 Added Game Tubro Game Mode: Dragon 855 Intelligent Carton Free
- Apple decided to lower the price of the iPhone! Cook: Acknowledging that the poor sales of new machines are due to overpricing
- Mobile off-line sales ranking in December: vivo, Huawei's top two, the iPhone XS Max is still strong
- The XR of the iPhone has fallen to 4733, and Apple will be critical in the next two years!
- Li Guoqing: Apologize for Liu Qiangdong's remarks, "Don't cheat guns in the name of love."